How do I access the ParEvo app?
Here it is: https://parevo.org/
To apply to be a Facilitator (one who organises their own ParEvo exercises) fill in the Facilitator Application form in the center panel
If you have been invited to participate in a ParEvo exercise, by a registered Facilitator, use the Login form on the right
What do these different words mean?
- Scenarios: These are “…defined broadly as an internally consistent description of a plausible or possible future state of a system (e.g. a country, a society, a group, a location)” Also described as a storyline within ParEvo.
- Exercise: A complete ParEvo scenario planning process, involving a number of iterations
- Iteration: The repetition of a short sequence of events in a ParEvo exercise.
- Participants view all participants’ Contributions made in the previous iteration
- Participants add a new Contribution to their most preferred storyline
- All new Contributions are then made visible to all participants
- Participants Comment on any of these contributions, as they choose
- Storyline: A sequence of text Contributions that spell out what happens over a period of time. Also known as a scenario.
- Seed: The first text, being the starting point of a number of storylines in a ParEvo exercise. Usually provided by the Facilitator
- Contribution: The text that participants choose to add to an existing storyline. This will usually have a size limit
- Comment: As in blog comments, an opinion expressed about a storyline, or specific contribution to a storyline
- Evaluation: The final stage of the exercise, when participants can assess the surviving stories on multiple criteria
- Facilitator: The person initiating a ParEvo exercise, choosing who will participate and managing the whole process, from beginning to end
- Participant: The persons who are developing the storylines, by adding new text to existing storylines, according to their own preferences. Participants can be Contributors and or Commentators
- Administrator: The person who authorises Facilitators to use ParEvo and who controls the available settings. The Administrator can also provide technical support to Facilitators.
- Observers:Those who have access to view an ParEvo exercise but no capacity to add or edit any content there
- Forecasting: Open ended exploration of what might happen in the future. Only the present is pre-defined (by the seed text)
- Backcasting: Exploration of the different ways a specific event in the future might happen, given where we are at present. An expected end state is predefined by the Facilitator.
I am a Facilitator, what can I do?
- Define the objectives of a ParEvo exercise
- Invite people to participate in a ParEvo exercise
- Draft a code of conduct appropriate to the purpose of the exercise
- Write the Seed text that starts a ParEvo exercise
- Invite participants to take part in the first iteration, where they add a text to the seed, describing what they think happens next
- Include a description of the imagined or factual context for this exercise
- Describe other important features of this exercise, which participants need to be aware of, and which can relate to points below
- Define how many iterations will be completed, or leave this undefined
- Define whether an iteration refers to a specific time period, or not
- Define the maximum length of any contribution or comment
- Delete, but not edit, any contributions or comments that breach the code of conduct
- Notify participants of when each subsequent iteration is opening and closing
- And when participants need to make their contributions or comments
- Set the criteria to be used in the evaluation of storylines
- Define who can participate in the Comment stage, and/or the Evaluation stage
I am a Participant, what can I do?
- Agree to behavior expectations spelled out by the facilitator, prior to participating in an exercise
- Make one contribution per iteration, extending the story-line of your choice
- After all participants have made a contribution during a given iteration, you can comment on any of the contributions
- Given you overall assessment of all the surviving story-lines, during the Evaluation stage
- View all other participants’ evaluations (anonymised)
- Download a copy of all the story-lines and comments, and evaluation results
- Apply to be a Facilitator of other ParEvo exercises